Thursday, November 1, 2012

Are we Overwired????

On my radio show this week, Dhana and I had Dr. Camille Preston on our show and we talked to her about her book Rewired: How to Work Smarter, Live Better, and be Purposefully Productive in an Overwired World.

We were especially interested in this topic because we both often find ourselves on our computer with our other technology beeping for attention nearby. What kind of example does this set for our children who are already pre-disposed to be techno-junkies. 

There are strategies that Dr. Preston talked about which made so much sense and in fact will make us more productive and more communicative. But the trick is to actually implement them into our lives so we do set a good example for our children.

My office is in my home. It can be a very unproductive environment. The laundry, the dishes, the unmade beds, dinner, the dog--can all be distractions in making for a productive day. Dr. Preston says that our brains are productive in 60-90 minute increments and then one needs to STOP and take a break. Check emails, return phone calls, fold the laundry. But in that 60-90 minutes, turn off your phone, your email etc. In essence,  all outside distractions and your day will be more productive. 

Today is my first day! My email is off, my phone is turned to mute and my Ipad is in the other room and I am attempting to conquer my list! 

I have been trying to write my blog for weeks and I finally got to it! Step 1 accomplished. If you would like to hear the podcast from the show here is the link: http://toginet.com/podcasts/believeinyourfairytale/BelieveInYourFairytaleLIVE_2012-10-30.mp3?type=podpage

Tonight, I challenge you to turn everything off at the dinner table. No phones, No Tv's, No computers. Instead tune in to your family. See what happens! 


No comments:

Post a Comment